I love homemade lip balms and always have one with me especially during winter. They prevent my lips from getting cracked, give them a juicy look and sweet flavor. This season I tried a vanilla – coconut – cacao lip balm recipe, which is relatively easy, natural, very flavored and moisturizing.
Prepare the vanilla oil for the lip balm recipe
Note that for this recipe, you can either prepare your infused vanilla oil by yourself or just buy it to simplify things.
Ingredients for 2 Tbsp of vanilla oil:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp jojoba oil (calming, healing, moisturizing, anti-aging)
- 1 tsp evening primrose seed oil (optional ingredient – revitalizing, restructuring, anti-aging)
- one vanilla bean divided in two and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil (prevents rancidity/ oxidation in cosmetics and it acts as an anti-oxidant (anti-oxidant)
1. Put everything in a glass bottle that is as big as to only hold the mixture. The presence of air stimulates oxidation. If you skip the evening primrose seed oil, just add 2 full Tbsp of jojoba oil.
2. Put the bottle in a dark (to avoid the oxidation due to light) and warm place. I usually wrap the bottle with paper and put it on the radiator, if its winter or near a sunny window, if it’s summer.
3. Filter the mixture in about three weeks.
I hope you will have the courage to prepare the vanilla oil by yourself because the end result is a “magic potion” with a divine smell of vanilla.
Prepare the vanilla – coconut – cacao lip balm recipe
- 2 Tbsp coconut butter/oil (antibacterial)
- 1 tsp cacao butter (nourishing and protective)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla oil (moisturizing, nourishing, softener)
- 2 tsp beeswax (solidifies the mixture and protects your lips from extreme weather conditions)
1. Clean very well the place where you are going to execute your homemade lip balm recipe. Sterilize your utensils and pots. Wash your hands.
3. Liquefy the coconut butter/ oil by placing its container into a bowl of not very hot water. Shake it from time to time to accelerate the process.
4. Now, you need to liquefy the beeswax. To do so, put it in a small glass bowl. Put the glass bowl into a container of cold water that you’ll gradually warm up. Stir regularly till the beeswax is completely melted. Take it away from the stove.
5. Add the cacao butter and stir again. If the cacao butter does not melt quickly, turn the bowl back on the stove for a couple of minutes. Try not to overdo with heating in order to avoid too much oxidation.
6. Add the coconut oil that has already cooled.
7. If you have chosen to buy the vanilla oil, add 1/4 tsp Vitamin E oil to the mixture and skip # 8.
8. Finally, add the vanilla oil and stir the whole mixture.
9. Immediately pour everything in the sterilized container(s). Then shake them gently to eliminate all the air bubbles inside. Once the lip balm has firmed, close the container(s). Put a label.
This lip balm recipe is really easy to do once you get all the ingredients. If you have any questions, please let me know. And now enjoy making your own lip balm and share the extras with friends. They will be hooked.